Program and Development Officer for CGE
Reports to: Executive Committee of the Board of Directors
Part-time, temporary contract position, 3 days a week for 12 months, some evening and weekend hours required
To apply: send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Deadline for applications is February 29.
About Citizens’ Greener Evanston
Citizens’ Greener Evanston (CGE) is a dynamic, environmental non-profit organization that works to make Evanston a more environmentally just, sustainable and resilient community. Since 2008, CGE has collaborated with the City, local businesses, the faith community, residents and others to make Evanston a more sustainable community – environmentally, economically, and socially – and to address climate change by dramatically reducing our greenhouse gas emissions. We are a 501 (c)(3) organization with more than 2,700 members. Through our programs, we offer a comprehensive, multi-initiative approach to addressing environmental challenges. We are focused on fighting climate change, increasing resiliency and helping Evanston to implement its recently adopted Climate Action and Resilience Plan (CARP).
The position supports the Board of Directors, programs, and committees of Citizens’ Greener Evanston. You will be responsible for aspects of organization administration, membership development, fund development, grants coordination and management, program coordination, communication and public relations. Your contribution will serve to support Citizens’ Greener Evanston’s mission and strategic objectives by ensuring the effective administration and coordination of programs and growth of CGE through membership and fund development. Additionally, your work will help CGE transition into its next stage of growth and development to maximize the effectiveness of our work and the viability of our organization.
Knowledge and Skills
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- A minimum of two years of experience in a non-profit setting
- Prefer work experience directly related to non-profit administration, environmental sustainability, administration of programs, and/or administration of grants
- Grant-writing experience with a preference for evidence of proposals funded
- Fund development experience
- Membership development experience with a preference for evidence of increasing membership, diversity and inclusion within an organization
- Written and oral communication
- Effective interpersonal communication
- Attention to detail
- Ability to take direction and work independently
- Giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Prioritizing workload
- Making decisions
- Creative thinking
- Presentation development and public-speaking
- Computer competency with Microsoft Windows software, web-based applications, social media, and the Internet
- Design/graphic design capabilities
- Organizing and coordinating board meetings, securing meeting space, drafting agendas
- Assisting with the administration of banking, tax and insurance matters
- Assisting the Board with setting annual goals for the organization and each program and tracking progress toward those goals
- Work with the President to complete the annual report in collaboration with program leads
- Assisting with the selection of experts to keep financial records, perform audits, and provide legal counsel
Program Support and Coordination
- Develop a system to keep track of all CGE activities
- Work with programs and committees to align strategies and activities with the Climate Action and Resiliency Plan (CARP)
- Conduct exploration of paid membership models with a report and recommendation provided to the Board by March 2020
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop a member cultivation and retention strategy for implementation in May/June 2020
- Develop a strategy for sponsorship cultivation, acceptance and management for presentation to the Board by April 2020 and assist with implementation of adopted strategy
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop and implement a strategy for individual donor cultivation. Develop a donor cultivation strategy to present to the Board by June/July 2020.
- Develop and implement a grant-seeking strategy
for the organization
- Organize and keep track of grant opportunities;
- Assist board members and program leads with writing grant proposals;
- Assist board members and program leads with managing and reporting on grants that are received.
Communication and Public Relations
- In close coordination with Board members, serve as a key liaison to the City on behalf of CGE and engage with key stakeholders in City government as needed; keep track of what is going on with the City and policy relevant to CGE’s work; share this information in a clear and consistent way with the Board and committees/programs.
- Help to identify liaisons from the Board to engage with key stakeholders in the community
- Coordinate and assist with external communications
- Help to develop a cohesive communications plan
- Oversee digital resource coordination
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive compensation
- Flexible work schedule, work independently from home office
- Potential for extension of this position beyond 12 months
- Benefits not provided